Phishing
I almost fell for one of those phishing scams through email. It said it was from Bank of America and they needed to check some updates to my account or something like that. I thought that sounded legit, I had recently canceled my savings account with them so I thought it might have to do with that. I click on the link and a webpage looking exactly like the BoA login site, so I log in. The next page shows up and starts asking me for my personal information like name and address stuff. I thought that was odd, they should have all that information...my password was right so they didn't have to verify it. So I look at the URL and long and behold it is not bankofamerica.com or some other URL I recognize... I instantly close that tab and report phishing through gmail.
My concern is that I really did log in to that fake site with my log/pass...I'm curious if they logged that and what they can actually do with it without any other information. Actually I'm pretty sure they would log it. So I guess I did fall for a phishing scam. I should probably change my pass right? Can't change my login cuz that's my SSN. What do my two readers think?
My concern is that I really did log in to that fake site with my log/pass...I'm curious if they logged that and what they can actually do with it without any other information. Actually I'm pretty sure they would log it. So I guess I did fall for a phishing scam. I should probably change my pass right? Can't change my login cuz that's my SSN. What do my two readers think?
Dude, that sucks. You might want to call BoA and see what they could do to help you with that. I know they have a Privacy Source service that is supposed to protect your account from identity theft...maybe they can give it to you for free? It's normally kind of expensive, but the first month anyway is cheap. Sincerely, reader #2, commenter #1
Posted by
AJ |
7:12 PM
yeah man that serious sucks. i can totally see this happening to me when i'm checking my e-mail after a night out drunk. you should probably do a credit report and put a flag on your credit status. and yeah definitely call boa.
phishers suck monkey balls.
Posted by
madmanrich |
3:01 AM
I would call Bank of America and report it and then I would watch my personal accounts like crazy...You should try and hack the hackers. :) Seriously though, I would consider putting a flag on my credit status.
Posted by
JDK |
1:04 PM
update on the situation
I've called BoA and they changed my online account # and id. I've put alerts on my SSN and my credit report so I should be covered if they try to do anything. If they do, I'll definitely try to hack them. =)
Posted by
Bryant |
1:31 PM
Screw hacking them ... hunt them down and hapkido them into submission :)
Posted by
JDK |
8:29 PM